Monday, August 2, 2010

Story Time

While rummaging through my grandmother's closet (don't ask me what I was doing in there), I found a book I wrote and illustrated in the sixth grade.  Our assignment was to rewrite a story with our own personal spin.  I decided to modernize The Rough-Face Girl by Rafe Martin.  This is the project I sacrificed an entire Spring Break to finish.  I made it with construction paper, glue and some body and clothes templates that helped keep the characters looking uniform from page to page.

I didn't bother to take any pictures of the pages with just text.  The link above has a synopsis of the original story if you want to know what's going on.  It's basically a Cinderella story.  The mistreated heroine gets the guy in the end and lives happily ever after.  

The cover.  Very plain and uninspired.
This is the dedication page.  Pinky was a big pink teddy bear that I used to dress up in baby onesies.
The title page sans title
I want to point out that I used the same hair template for everyone in the book.  I also used the template for some non-hair things too.  See if you can spot them.
The flames are actually pony tails.  I betcha didn't even notice.
See that boa wrapped around the figure on the left?  Yeah, it's made out of a pair of pony tails.
1.  Get money  2.  Buy fabric  3.  ???  4.  Success!
I thought I was being all sneaky when I put my initials on their shirts.
This is the Rough-Faced Girl after she bathes in the enchanted beautifying river.
Yah!  Happy ending!
Thanks for looking.  I hope to have a quilting related post up by Wednesday.

No comments:

Post a Comment